Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday Roundup

It's been awhile since I've looked at the Bookworm list of reviews. There's a million of them. Really. Check it out.

The next review will be the one millionth one. Is it you?

It won't be me. I've only five page into Blue Gold: The Fight to Stop The Corporate Theft of the Worlds' Water, which Theresa at Pondering the Myriad Things reviewed here last year. Already I consider water wildly more precious than before.

The sailor at my house is reading A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World - cod, which means I'm getting a daily outline of it. And happily so. Did you know that the guy who first marketed frozen food was named Birdseye? And back in the day it wasn't unusual to hook a cod the size of a man. The ocean was a different place than today. I may read cod for myself when he's done.

What are you reading at your house? Anything good? Bad? Anything new?

Whatever you're reading I hope you're enjoying the time spent doing so.

3 comments:

SusanB said...

Hey -- I picked up a copy of Cod at a yardsale this spring and am planning to read it next. I'm looking forward to it, the first of my paternal ancestors in north america lived in a colonial cod fishing community. I understand the same writer wrote "Salt" which is also somewhere on my list for an as of yet unscheduled library run at some unknown time in the future.

Robbie @ Going Green Mama said...

I just finished reading "Will this chicken give me man boobs?" I saw it at the library on the "new books" shelf and just had to pick it up!

It's a hilarious take at finding your way toward sustainable living in suburbia. I'll post a review later this week!

Kale for Sale said...

Susan - I bet the book will be even more interesting given that you have a history in the family of cod fishing. Let me know if you write a review. I'd love to know what someone other than my sailor thinks of it. I'm going to tell him about the salt book. It might be fun to read them back to back.

Robbie - We are an infinitely creative species aren't we! I'll look forward to your review.

(The new book shelf is one my favorites too.)