Monday, November 3, 2008

Monday Roundup


Another Monday, another round up. This one to kick off the month of gratitude - of Thanksgiving. With that in mind, you'll encounter posts from each of us wormers regarding the book or books for which we are grateful. Check in weekly for those.

On to the round up.

I am reading Van Jones' Green Collar Economy. I'm only a couple of chapters in but so far I feel pretty strongly that the next President should read this book. If we could work toward a greener lifestyle, create new meaningful jobs, get the economy going again and alleviate poverty, well, Van Jones seems capable of pointing the way.

How about you? What are you reading this month? Have you written any reviews that we can share?

6 comments:

Going Crunchy said...

Working on This Moment on Earth by John Kerry. A good read about the "new" environmental movement. Shan

Anonymous said...

I've been reading fiction, and just finished Jean Hegland's, Into the Forest, in which two young women find themselves isolated in their family home in a redwood forest as the outside world collapes and eventually go back into the forest, which will provide.

Farmer's Daughter said...

I'm almost done with Sharon Astyk's book. I'm really enjoying it and reading it every chance I get.

Donna said...

I'm reading the Van Jones book too, and am not much farther along than you are, but I totally agree. I hope the next president has already read it, and if not, that he will before he takes office!

Green Bean said...

Shannon: Great! Looking forward to what he has to say.

Susanb: Ohhh. That sounds interesting. I'm always looking for a good fiction read. Sometimes, you just need to take a break from reality - even if the fiction is realistic. Know what I mean.

Abbie: So glad that you like it. Guest review on it going up tomorrow.

Donna: Wouldn't it be wonderful if our government got on board? I mean REALLY on board? What a differenc it could make in the lives of our children and our grandchildren. Fingers crossed that the next prez and everyone else that high up has read it or at least been given the cliff notes.

Kale for Sale said...

Last year before Green Economy was published I heard that Barack Obama shared a stage with Van Jones. While I can't find confirmation of that I've held the belief that it's true in my pocket of hope through out the election process.

And to susan b - I loved Into The Forest and still wonder what I would do in their position. The story has stayed with me all these maybe 12 years later. It's one of my all time five favorite reads just because of how compelling the story was.